The Centre for Patient Leadership was founded by David Gilbert and Mark Doughty.
The aim of the Centre is to learning and support to enable patients, service users and carers to become influential leaders and effective agents of change in order to:
- Improve the quality of health services
- Promote health and wellbeing within their communities
- Generate solutions to current health care problems.
We offer strategic advice on patient leadership, and learning and development opportunities to organisations who support, treat or employ patient, carers and service users. These include:
- NHS organisations (commissioners and providers)
- Private sector businesses
- Local and national patient and voluntary sector organisations
One of our aims is to help create a social movement for change that transforms relationships between healthcare organisations, health professionals and patients. We will work with others and undertake high quality research and policy advocacy in order to better understand and influence health and healthcare systems. This will include dedicated studies concerning the nature of Patient Leadership – what it means and how best to promote the concept.